The care and feeding of software engineers (or, why engineers are grumpy) : That’s really what drives software engineers more than anything else: the idea that people we don’t even know will be affected by our work.
- 1) Fundamentals of Emotional Intelligence
- 2) Understand the Business of your Customer
- 3) Minimum One Programming Language for each Mainstream Development Paradigm
- 4) Know your Tools
- 5) Standard Data Structures, Algorithms and Big-O-Notation
- 6) Don’t Trust Code without Adequate Test
- 7) Basics of Project Management, Lean Management and Agile Concepts
- 8) Key Metrics of Software Development
- 9) The Root Cause of the Last Defect
- 10) Understand the Infrastructure
OrmHate: if you’re going to dump on something in the way many people do about ORMs, you have to state the alternative. What do you do instead of an ORM?
No DB: The database is just a detail that you don’t need to figure out right away.